Choosing Your Options
At Welbeck College (DSFC) we try to provide a broad and balanced curriculum for all our students. The curriculum is intended to be stimulating and relevant. It should equip you for adult life and enable you to progress in your chosen career.
The challenge of in-depth study at an advanced level is indeed an exciting one, but is also a difficult task. It is therefore important to make the right choice of subjects.
You should consider:
- The subjects you enjoy.
- The subjects you are good at.
- The degree that you wish to study.
- The study methods required in the subject.
- The balance of examination and coursework.
- The benefits, and drawbacks, of starting a new subject.
- The balance of your subjects.
L6 Option Blocks (AS Level Options)
L6 students must take Maths and Physics.
They can then take any other TWO subjects from the following:
- Design and Technology (Systems and Control)
- Government and Politics
- Business Studies
Students are not allowed to change courses after the first four weeks of term. After this time all courses being studied must be completed to AS level.
The U6 have the following options:
- Carry on with all four AS levels to A2 (Only recommended in exceptional circumstances).
- Drop one AS level (MOD students may not drop Mathematics) and pick a subject from the enrichment block.
- Further Maths AS/A2
- Critical Thinking AS/A2
- Economics AS
- Arabic Studies
- Mandarin Chinese Studies
- Japanese Studies
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Open University
- Extended Project AS
- International Politics and Conflict Resolution
*If you have a certain proficiency in a musical instrument and would like to take grade qualifications you may, with the agreement of the VPA, take this option.
If a student fails to achieve at least a C grade in Mathematics and Physics they may not be allowed to proceed to A2 level. This may result in withdrawal from the College.