Military and CCF
The Combined Cadet Force (CCF)
There are 4 full-time military staff operating the Combined Cadet Force. They are assisted by a number of the academic teaching staff with whom the CCF team produces an exciting and stimulating programme of activities.
Membership of the Cadet Force offers a wide variety of opportunities regardless of previous experience. We do not follow the usual cadet training programme as we are training potential officers, and therefore your training will be very much skills and leadership based. The CCF staff train and encourage all cadets to lead by example, conviction and courage. All Welbeck students belong to the cadet unit and as such you can expect to:
- Increase your self-confidence and self-discipline.
- Experience basic military training.
- Take on challenging physical activities including obstacle and confidence courses, endurance exercises, building river crossings and improving leadership and command skills.
- Embark upon four major off-campus training exercises during which you can test and display your leadership skills.
- The CCF also has its own military band that supports the college in all formal parades.
Personal Development Training
Personal Development Training is another key part of the weekly timetable. In the lower sixth you will undertake Self-Reliance and Leadership Training. This involves hill walking, map reading, river work, first aid, drill, field craft, weapon handling, communications and platoon competitions. You will also take part in a 72 hour exercise in Snowdonia National Park and attend a 12 day annual military summer camp, putting your skills to the test.
The timetable for upper sixth students involves Leadership Development which includes commanding platoons and supervising weapon proficiency, basic instructional technique, advanced navigation, physical training and drill.